Saturday 18 May 2024

Facing Fears, Finding Comfort

I used to fear a lot of things when I was young. There was a long list in my head which usually had ghosts, strict teachers, and bugs and insects at the top. One night, my elder sister and I decided to sleep in our grandfather's room so that we could stay up late and enjoy ourselves. He used to have a teenie-tiny bulb that used to stay on throughout the night, which reflected enough light to see your surroundings. By the time I was arranging my blanket and pillow all the lights were turned off except the teenie-tiny bulb. Suddenly, a brown thing near my feet caught my attention and my eyes widened with fear as I jerked my head towards it. I for sure knew it was a moth and hated the way it felt on my skin. I jumped around and screamed while my sister laughed at me and the moth flew around. I was sure I would take my revenge later. I was also sure my grandpa wasn't angry but serious when he scolded me about how I was such a big creature as compared to that tiny one and how it could hardly harm me. His words instantly affected me and I calmed down but how was the little me supposed to tell him about the uncomfortable and disgusting feeling? Anyway, I knew I would have lost the debate against him after all so I chose to shut up and nod. Now whenever I see ‘that tiny one’ his words come to my head and make me miss him dearly.

Another day, I was just travelling to the top floor of a building through a lift with few people in it when it suddenly stopped. I had read about how people died when a lift broke down in some articles and got scared. But later I thought about how if I die, at least I won't die alone, and many will go away with me.

And I smiled, I think.

Kaveri (X)

No comments:

Post a Comment